Child Support Common Questions

How to begin the application process?

If as a parent you are acquiring public assistance from the government such as food Stamps and/or Medicaid, you are automatically referred to the Child Support Enforcement Division. In order to obtain support it is required to collaborate with the efforts of the CSED. If you fail to reply to the requests for information or miss any appointments or court hearings you have the possibility for your benefits to be reduced or eliminated.

If as a parent you are not receiving any Medicaid or public assistance, it is required to complete an application for the services. The cooperation is also required if you are not receiving assistance. If you fail to cooperate, this can cause the child support to be closed.

How to attain a child support order?

Prior to being eligible for a child support order, the case must first be reviewed to determine whether the criteria have been met in order to enter an administrative order. If the case is eligible, both the parent and non-custodial parent will obtain documents that are mandatory to be completed and returned in a timely matter. Once the documents have been returned and the timeframes have been met, without going to court there is a possibility for an administrative order to be entered. If the case does not meet the eligibility for the administrative process, the case will be processed judicially.

Throughout this process, an appointment letter will be sent to you that state all of the documents that are required to bring for the interview. In order to establish a support case, detailed financial information is required from you and the non-custodial parent. It is also required to provide a written explanation if there is certain information than cannot be gathered. It must also be stated any specific information about other legal cases that involve your child, regardless of the type of case it is. The process for your case will be quicker if you bring all of the information and documents that are required.

The amount of time it takes to obtain an order

If the residence of the non-custodial parent is noted, the case is then filed. The non-custodial parent will obtain copies of the documentation that was signed by you, consisting of your financial affidavit. After the non-custodial parent has been served with the paperwork on the case, a court date will be scheduled.

However, the time frame for the court date is not guaranteed because not every case is the same. There are many factors that affect this process such as request for paternity tests, opposing counsel, or the necessity for certified copies of existing support orders that can delay this process. An order can be attained in as little as three months, but can take as long as one year.

Child Custody

Honesty Is The Best Policy During Custody Proceedings

Throughout custody hearings, (especially highly contested hearings) it is imperative for you to keep in mind that your actions or in-actions are being noticed by the courts and all those involved in the custody hearing. Never assume that something you may have done in your past, (even if you think no one knows about) will […]

Read More
Child Custody

Child Custody Myth No. 1: Parents Should Insulate Their Children From Their Divorce

Meeting children’s needs during divorce is one of the most difficult challenges a parent can encounter. Awash in emotional turmoil and financial anxieties, divorcing parents are hardly at their best precisely when their children need them the most. It can’t get much worse than that, right? Unfortunately, it can. A number of popular misconceptions about […]

Read More
Child Custody

Requesting Changes to a Child Support Agreement

Once the court has mandated a child support agreement, is it written in stone or can it be changed if the cost of living goes up or if circumstances change? Fortunately for parents, it is possible to change the court order in certain cases. Cost of Living Adjustments The clearest type of change is for […]

Read More